Pages

L.Q. Jones - A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A Boy and His Dog is a weird, offbeat sci-fi movie about one of the genre's favorite subjects: the survivors of a nuclear holocaust. The year is 2024, and America has been buried under a deep covering of radioactive dust. On the surface, roaming bands of marauders kill each other for women and canned goods. A half-mile below, domed cities preserve -- or should I say embalm -- a ghastly parody of middle-class life.

The boy of the title is Vic (played by Don Johnson), who's spent 18 years struggling to survive on the surface. The dog is Blood, a cheerful mutt who can communicate telepathically.”

Eric Campos, of filmthreat.com said this:

4½ stars:  “The first thing that hit my mind once the end credits started rolling was, “I can’t believe I haven’t seen this movie before.” Why wasn’t I alerted to this? Of course I’ve known it as the starring vehicle for a young Don Johnson, but that’s about it. The catchy title certainly didn’t make me want to find out more. So here I am, finally discovering the brilliance of “A Boy and His Dog,” just released to DVD by First Run Features, and as much as I enjoyed it, I’m still pissed off that I didn’t know about it sooner.





No comments:

Post a Comment